Cardano was founded in 2000 to help pension plans achieve their financial objectives in a steady, predictable way by applying robust investment and risk management techniques. We currently employ 160 people based in London and Rotterdam with clients whose assets total in excess of £140bn.
Cardano offers both Fiduciary Management and Investment Advisory services. We have a unique approach as we are a purpose-built pension investment manager with an advisory mind-set who offers a dynamic and opportunistic approach to risk management, asset allocation, manager selection and implementation.
Cardano aims to help clients achieve a steady, predictable improvement in their funding ratio in all market conditions without significant loss. We believe this approach leads to the best outcome for both members and the sponsoring company.
"I started Cardano in the UK with a vision of a better way to manage assets for pension funds. Seeing that vision come to life has been a very rewarding experience for me personally but most importantly for our clients through excellent performance and service. As we continue to be at the forefront of pension fund management, we need to motivate our people, retain our best talent and hire people who will continue to drive us to be better at what we do while maintaining the current culture of excellence, high energy and winning the right way."
- Kerrin Rosenberg UK CEO
Cardano is all about producing better outcomes for our clients. In order to achieve this, we have a strong belief that how we work together is just as important as the technical content of what we do.
We are an entrepreneurial firm. Although Cardano is 18 years old, we still retain a strong sense that we are pioneers, figuring out better ways to meet our clients’ needs and how best to organise ourselves to achieve this. This entrepreneurial spirit is closely linked to our emphasis on education and development. We see our industry as constantly evolving and we, both Cardano the firm and Cardano the employees, need to be learning, evolving and adapting to be commercially successful. We aren’t afraid to challenge conventional wisdom and take pride in creating new and innovative ways to solve old problems.
Values and Vision
We have a very strong sense of values and vision, which stems from the founders of the firm who are all still very active in the business today. We believe passionately that what we do makes a real difference to our pension fund clients, ensuring they are able to meet their promises over many decades to the thousands of members who rely on the fund in their retirement.
Collaboration and challenge
We believe in strong and open collaboration between colleagues. We challenge each other and provide open, constructive feedback. We think this helps each of us continue to develop as we learn from colleagues, and it helps produce better investment decisions, as we protect ourselves from the negative influence of the behavioural biases we are all subject to as human beings.
Cardano Engineering – Our dynamics!
The Engineering team at Cardano consists of Software Engineering, Data Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering across multiple locations. The team structure is flat and close teamwork is pervasive. The Engineering team is responsible for developing and maintaining all in-house software at Cardano. It has very close interaction with all areas of the UK business comprising the Client Team, Investment Team and Operations Team. Where appropriate, projects are also shared with our Rotterdam, Malaga and Kiev engineers. There is a strong demand from the business for innovation through software implementation and improvement of business processes. Team members manage requirements and interact with the business directly and are responsible for delivering against them in an agile way.
On behalf of Cardano, Ciklum is looking for a Junior Big Data Engineer to join Malaga team on a full-time basis.
As a Junior Big Data Engineer you will be involved in an innovation through software implementation and improvement of business processes. This is an opportunity for a bright and enthusiastic individual to learn Cardano’s Big Data initiatives and make a significant contribution to the business productivity and efficiency.
Training will be provided for all data engineers so that they maintain a skillset across the team.
Team members manage requirements directly and are responsible for delivering against them in an agile way. All project teams will include ‘The 3 amigos’ consisting of engineer, quant and super user. The ownership of projects is shared across the team.
We are looking for someone who will join the Data Engineering. You will be working on the collecting, storing, processing, and analyzing of sets of data. The primary focus will be on solutions for maintaining, implementing, and monitoring them. You will also be responsible for integrating them with the architecture used across the company. You will gain exposure to Big Data technologies and platforms including Hadoop, Spark and Trifacta.
The team structure is flat and close teamwork is pervasive. The Data Engineering team is responsible for developing and maintaining all in-house data-centric solutions at Cardano. The team have a very close interaction with all areas of the UK and NL business units comprising the Client Team, Investment Team and Operations Teams. They will also work with Legal / Compliance and Office Management.
In addition to the above you will be responsible for building web APIs to abstract external / internal data sources and create a uniformed ingestion architecture.
- Implementing ETL processes and ensuring best practices within Cardano
- Become an expert in Big Data tools and frameworks used to provide requested capabilities
- Gain knowledge and an understanding of distributed computing principles
- Learn the Hortonworks Data Platform services
- Ability to solve ongoing issues with the operation cluster
- Build Web APIs for uniformed data ingestion
- Learn best practices for ETL processes and work closely with quants and business users to ensure that they have the required tools and datasets at their disposal
- Ensure that all data flows are transparent and are monitored in our Operations Dashboard
- Experience in Python, Java or C#
- Knowledge of SQL Server design and development.
- Knowledge of RDBMS, Postgres or MySQL will be desirable
- Big data skills or interest to quickly upskill
- Experience writing RESTful APIs, GraphQL is desirable
- Knowledge of software design patterns and best practices
- Creating clean code and using test driven development
- Knowledge of CI/CD
Hortonworks Data Platform (2.6.1)
- Web APIs implementing GraphQL
- Azure Functions
Data Flow Platforms:
- Apache NiFi (HDF 3.0)
- Apache Oozie
- Apache Sqoop
- GitHub CI Environments
Programming Languages, scripting:
- Shell Scripts / Bash
What's in it for you
- Ability to work on challenging, large project with complex high load e-commerce platform;
- State of the art, cool, centrally located offices with warm atmosphere which creates really good working conditions;
- Unique working environment where you communicate and work directly with client;
- Competitive salary;
- Career and professional growth;
- Possibility to work in a big and successful company;
- Long-term employment with 20 working-days paid vacation and other social benefits.