Cardano was founded in 2000 to help pension plans achieve their financial objectives in a steady, predictable way by applying robust investment and risk management techniques. We currently employ 160 people based in London and Rotterdam with clients whose assets total in excess of £140bn.
Cardano offers both Fiduciary Management and Investment Advisory services. We have a unique approach as we are a purpose-built pension investment manager with an advisory mind-set who offers a dynamic and opportunistic approach to risk management, asset allocation, manager selection and implementation.
Cardano aims to help clients achieve a steady, predictable improvement in their funding ratio in all market conditions without significant loss. We believe this approach leads to the best outcome for both members and the sponsoring company.
"I started Cardano in the UK with a vision of a better way to manage assets for pension funds. Seeing that vision come to life has been a very rewarding experience for me personally but most importantly for our clients through excellent performance and service. As we continue to be at the forefront of pension fund management, we need to motivate our people, retain our best talent and hire people who will continue to drive us to be better at what we do while maintaining the current culture of excellence, high energy and winning the right way."
- Kerrin Rosenberg UK CEO
Cardano is all about producing better outcomes for our clients. In order to achieve this, we have a strong belief that how we work together is just as important as the technical content of what we do.
We are an entrepreneurial firm. Although Cardano is 18 years old, we still retain a strong sense that we are pioneers, figuring out better ways to meet our clients’ needs and how best to organise ourselves to achieve this. This entrepreneurial spirit is closely linked to our emphasis on education and development. We see our industry as constantly evolving and we, both Cardano the firm and Cardano the employees, need to be learning, evolving and adapting to be commercially successful. We aren’t afraid to challenge conventional wisdom and take pride in creating new and innovative ways to solve old problems.
Values and Vision
We have a very strong sense of values and vision, which stems from the founders of the firm who are all still very active in the business today. We believe passionately that what we do makes a real difference to our pension fund clients, ensuring they are able to meet their promises over many decades to the thousands of members who rely on the fund in their retirement.
Collaboration and challenge
We believe in strong and open collaboration between colleagues. We challenge each other and provide open, constructive feedback. We think this helps each of us continue to develop as we learn from colleagues, and it helps produce better investment decisions, as we protect ourselves from the negative influence of the behavioural biases we are all subject to as human beings.
Cardano Engineering – Our dynamics!
The Engineering team at Cardano consists of Software Engineering, Data Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering across multiple locations. The team structure is flat and close teamwork is pervasive. The Engineering team is responsible for developing and maintaining all in-house software at Cardano. It has very close interaction with all areas of the UK business comprising the Client Team, Investment Team and Operations Team. Where appropriate, projects are also shared with our Rotterdam, Malaga and Kiev engineers. There is a strong demand from the business for innovation through software implementation and improvement of business processes. Team members manage requirements and interact with the business directly and are responsible for delivering against them in an agile way.
On behalf of Cardano, Ciklum is looking for a Middle Big Data Engineer to join our Malaga team on a full-time basis.
You will join our 6 people-strong Data Engineering team, which is spread across three locations: Rotterdam, London and Malaga. The team helps development and maintenance of the Data Lake and ETL jobs to make Cardano’s processes in trading, portfolio construction, portfolio management and operations robust, scalable and efficient. And also to support self-service initiatives within the business.
The team makes sure all business critical data is stored in the data lake, is easily accessible and is always available on time. The data is used for reporting, analytics and other processes.
We believe in picking the best tool for the job. Our stack, as listed above, consists of a variety of technologies that can best solve a specific problem. You have a voice in using, reducing or expanding that stack.
- Work with new Big Data technologies for our data lake
- Maintain legacy data infrastructure
- Provide the business with clear and easy to understand data
- Data validation to make sure the quality matches the high standards
- Work together with the business and communicate with them directly to make sure their needs are met
- Working in a team environment provide pragmatic data solutions to business users
- Contribute to the Cardano technology stack using ideas and trends from the industry
- Review code, architecture and assist the team lead in providing the highest quality solutions
- Good knowledge of Hadoop/Hive/NiFi and or SQL and or Python, but we are also open for candidates with experience in other programming languages with the enough motivation to learn big data technologies
- We value the curiosity and intrinsic desire to investigate and understand a problem and trying out technologies one is unfamiliar with
- Strong communication skills
- Good understanding about good architecture and good code
- Bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree of financial or technical nature is a plus
- Experience in institutional banking or in the financial risk management industry is welcome
- High level of English.
What's in it for you
- Job opportunity where you can develop your skills as big data engineer and also you will have the 10% of the time during the week for learning and being just focused on formation and your career development
- Unique working environment with cool and nicely located offices with warm atmosphere
- Competitive salary
- Long-term employment with 23 working-days paid vacation and other social benefits