Hopster mission is to make screen time a win-win for parents and children. We do that by helping kids to learn through the shows they love, striking a balance between learning and fun. As one of the top-ranking kids apps on the App Store in 20 countries and counting, one of the App Store’s Best of 2015 and 2016 selection, as well as Kidscreen 2018 & 2017 Best Streaming Video Platform and Best App in the Little London Awards 2017, we already do this for over 1 million families. Our users are children between 2-6yrs old (and their parents). Our investors and advisors include Sony Pictures Television, Sandbox & Co, Peter Read (LoveFilm), MADE.com CTO Jonathan Howell, and Davina McCall.
On behalf of Hopster, Ciklum is looking for a Senior Python Back End Engineer to be part of our rapidly growing engineering team.
We’re looking for someone with not only excellent Python knowledge, but knowledge of building RESTful APIs using modern MVC frameworks, ideally on Google Cloud (we use the webapp2 framework, utilising Google Cloud Endpoints on Google App Engine).
You’ll be working across product development, feature architecture as well as operational support, getting involved in requirements gathering, making architectural decisions and writing awesome code to solve big problems.
- You’ll be working as part of our core backend development team, which consists of 2 engineers in London and 3 in Kyiv, Ukraine
- You’ll work closely with mobile and web developers to provide services to power to the core Hopster apps across mobile, tv and web, as well as working closely with project managers, designers and testers
- You’ll have the opportunity to work on lots of interesting stuff including recommendation engines, machine learning, complex content scheduling management for video, games and books and user personalization
- You’ll need to use your own initiative to manage multiple tasks concurrently and assess priorities while being extremely proactive
- We work in an agile environment and move fast, so there will always be fun and interesting problems to solve!
- At least 2 years’ experience writing Python on MVC frameworks (webapp2, Django, Flask etc)
- Experience with Cloud technologies (Google Cloud, AWS)
- Experience writing and using RESTful APIs
- Any exposure to machine learning (PySpark, SciPy, TensorFlow etc) would be a big bonus
- Solid understanding of object-oriented software development processes
- Good understanding of software testing techniques, including writing unit and functional tests
- Solid understanding of git, JIRA
- Excellent written and spoken English skills
- The ability to work both on your own and collaboratively with other developers, product managers and testers
- A special attribute we call getstuckinability – also known as a pro-active, can do attitude, and willingly getting involved to do things that need doing
- To be positive and friendly but not scared to speak your mind
What's in it for you
We understand children and we are a diverse, ambitious team. We strive for a fast, fun, and creative environment. We embrace new ideas and work together to build a better Hopster. Everyone gets as much responsibility as they can handle and, as a rapidly growing company, we’d expect to offer people who perform well plenty of future growth opportunities.
You’ll get a personal project day each month where you can work on something that interests you. The food and drinks at the end of the sprint are on us.
Still sound good? Get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you.